A new standard revision, ISO 19011:2018 – Guidelines for auditing management systems, has been released, to address the recent revisions to ISO management system standards, such as ISO 9001:2015 (QMS), ISO 14001:2015 (EMS), and ISO 45001:2018 (OHSMS), and the development of other standards.
The primary changes to ISO 19011:2018 include:
- A risk-based approach to the principles of auditing has been added.
- Guidance on managing an audit program has been expanded, specifically on auditing program risk.
- Guidance on conducting an audit has been expanded, particularly the section on audit planning.
- Generic competence requirements for auditors has been expanded.
- Terminology has been adjusted to reflect the process and not the object.
- The annex on “Guidance and illustrative examples of discipline-specific knowledge and skills of auditors” has been removed, to reflect the varying competence needs for the expanding scope of different standards.
- “Additional guidance for auditors planning and conducting audits” in Annex has been expanded with guidance on auditing concepts such as organization context, leadership and commitment, virtual audits, compliance, and supply chain.
Benefits from ISO 19001:2018
- ISO 19011:2018 still provides the principles of auditing, managing an audit program, and conducting management system audits, and provides guidance on evaluating the individuals managing the audit program, auditors, and audit teams.
- In accordance with ISO 19011:2018, an audit can be conducted against the guidelines defined in management system standards, the needs of interested parties, statutory and regulatory requirements, quality plans, and/or other audit criteria.
- The addressed audits can be internal (first party), conducted by external providers and other external interested parties (second party), or for certification or by regulatory bodies (third party).
- ISO 19011:2018 is applicable to all organizations that need to plan and conduct internal or external audits or management systems or manage an audit program.
- ISO 19011:2018 is applicable to organizations of all types and sizes and audits of varying scopes and scales.
Support by DQS
DQS always emphasize the value from audits to certified clients for organizational health and sustainable development.