ISO 20000-1 Service Management Certification
ISO/IEC 20000-1 is widely adopted as a service management system (SMS) standard. It specifies requirements for the service provider to plan, establish, implement, operate, monitor, review, maintain and improve an SMS. The requirements include the design, transition, delivery and improvement of services to fulfil agreed service requirements. Specially, many companies with IT related service have adopted it for SMS Certification.
IT Infrastructure Library (ITIL®) has become largely accepted as the guideline for IT Service Management. More customers are demanding suppliers’ compliance to ITIL®. Internal IT or shared services organizations are trying to improve service quality by adopting the best practices from ITIL®. However, there is no third party certification possible against ITIL®. To address this issue, ISO/IEC 20000 standard was initially published in 2005. This standard has two parts: 20000-1 provides the specifications and 20000-2 provides code of practice, both of which were updated in 2011.
The new version of this standard, ISO/IEC 20000:2018, is planned to release in Q4, 2018.
Some of the main reasons for the popularity of ISO 20000-1 include:
- It provides a brief roadmap for implementing ITIL®
- An annual surveillance audit helps to demonstrate incremental improvement
- There can be significant cost savings compared to an ITIL® assessment
Benefits of certification to ISO/IEC 20000:
- ISO/IEC 20000-1 certification provides objective evidence of compliance to ITIL best practices
- Competitive advantage
- Easy roadmap to IT Service Management implementation
- Certification drives continual service improvement
- Provides a scalable standard which can be applied to any size IT operation
- Third party endorsement of compliance to ITSM best practices.
- For internal IT, ISO 20000-1:2011 certification increases perceived value of IT services
- Performance improvements such as:
- Reduction of system outage
- Reduction of critical incidents
- Increased system availability